Talcomb, Cosy Country Cottage
Cottage with 2 bedrooms and 1 bathroom in Lakes, England
Booking cost: £0.00
From £306 per week
Talcomb is one of six cottages converted from a water driven saw mill built circa 1740
Talcomb is one of six cottages converted from a water driven saw mill built circa 1740.
It is situated at the foot of Seldom Seen Revine in the quiet and aptly named hamlet of Seldom Seen, on the outskirts of Thornthwaite Village, Talcomb nestles beside the comb beck overlooking a sparkling waterfall. This can be your starting point for many walks up in to the Winlatter Forest or on the surrounding fells. The larger village of Braithwaite is only one mile away where you can visit a country pub or dine in one of the hotels or bars, or alternatively the bustling market town of Keswick with its many shops, pubs and restaurants is only 3 miles away. There is a regular bus route that runs at the bottom of the road should you not wish to drive or walk
The cottage briefly comprises:
Two bedrooms – one double, one twin
The lounge and dining area has a wonderful cosy feel due to the low ceilings and oak beams and real coal fire.The double glazed window ovelooks the wooded area opposite.This area is equipped with text colour TV,Video player complete with a selection of videos, radio, cassette and CD player,and is furnished with two comfortable settees and a dining table and 4 chairs.
The kitchen has all the pots, pans and utensils you need to make a tasty sandwich or a dinner party for 4. There is a oven and hob, microwave oven, toaster and kettle. There is a washer/dryer should you need it.
The Main double room has views out over Comb Beck and views towards Winlatter Forest this room has a wonderful cosy feel due to the low ceilings and oak beams it is furnished with pine furniture and matching bed linen. The Twin bedroom has views out over the wooded area opposite and again is furnished with pine furniture and matching bed linen.
The bathroom is downstairs and has a shower, toilet and sink. (no bath)
There is a graveled area with space for one car, seating outside the cottage and for those sunny days there is patio furniture in the lounge cupbaord that you can put out
Sleeps 4 + Cot
Walking from the door
Real coal fire
Bed linen included
Tv,video, CD player
Well behaved pets allowed
Talcomb is available for long and short breaks
20 verified reviews
20 out of 20 people recommend staying here
We had a lovely stay at Talcomb. The property was easy to find and very clean on our arrival. The location was good and we enjoyed the surrounding area. Lovely walks direct from the door so was easy to take our dog out for a morning/evening walk. We had a lovely evening walk (summer) from the property to The Royal Oak in Braithwaite.
The only negative I have about the property is the double bedroom. The room is too small for a double bed and the bed is very creaky which kept us awake at night. As a family with teenagers we felt this room would benefit with a bunk bed and the adults stay in the much larger twin room.
The lounge and kitchen were a good size and equipped with everything you could need.
Thank you for a easy check in and out service and we would definitely return to the property as a couple.
We love this cottage, it is in such a lovely position for enjoying the Lake District. It's so quiet, great for a good nights sleep and yet it's so easy to get into Keswick which is around a 10 minute drive away. You can walk to Braithwaite and we had a wonderful meal in the Royal Oak, you need to book well in advance of your stay.
The gallery in thornwaite is just down the road, this does good coffee and has some lovely items to buy.
Walking up from the cottage brings you to whinlatter forest, its uphill all the way but worth the walk. Whinlatter is famous for its red squirrels and has some lovely walks. The coffee shop does amazing lunches and cakes.
The cottage is lovely and warm and very relaxing, just what you need for a great break.
Great cosy cottage in a lovely quiet location. Wonderful walks from the door up into whinlatter forest.
Saw a red squirrel everyday from the window and lots of unusual birds.
Great place to relax during difficult times.
Great cosy cottage. WHen we stayed we had really cold weather, a couple of snow showers but the cottage was lovely and warm.
My husband and son saw a woodpecker out of the lounge window and on a walk back from the pub one evening we saw a young deer in the woods.
The cottage is in a lovely area there are so many walks from your doorstop, and the walk up into the forest is delightful.
We went into Keswick on a couple of evenings and used a taxi which cost us £8.00 great value if there are 4 of you.
The nearest place to eat and drink is Brailthwaite which has 3 pubs. Our favourite is middle ruddings which has a great selection of beers and spirts, especially gin and the food is good. It's a five minute drive or about a 40min walk.
This cottage is great value for money in a great location.
lovely warm cottage at a great price. We saw 3 red squirrels from the cottage. Two out of the back window and one running near the car out of the front window.
A great base to explore the Lake District.
Distances to locations
Sights and attractions
Prices and availability
Updated 13 August 2022
- Your booking
- Available start/end date
Select your travel dates on the calendar
Changeover days and minimum stays
- 8 December - 20 December 2022: the minimum stay is 2 nights.
- 21 December 2022 - 2 January 2023: the minimum stay is 4 nights.
- 17 March - 22 March 2023: the minimum stay is 4 nights.
- 23 March - 31 May 2023: the minimum stay is 3 nights.
- 1 June 2023: the minimum stay is 4 nights.
- 3 June - 28 June 2023: the minimum stay is 4 nights.
- 29 June - 26 July 2023: the minimum stay is 2 nights.
- 27 July - 18 August 2023: the minimum stay is 3 nights.
- 19 August - 21 August 2023: the minimum stay is 2 nights.
- 22 August - 30 November 2023: the minimum stay is 3 nights.
- 1 December - 20 December 2023: the minimum stay is 2 nights.
- 21 December 2023 - 2 January 2024: the minimum stay is 4 nights.
- 17 March - 22 March 2024: the minimum stay is 4 nights.
- 23 March - 31 May 2024: the minimum stay is 3 nights.
- 1 June 2024: the minimum stay is 4 nights.
- 3 June - 28 June 2024: the minimum stay is 4 nights.
- 29 June - 26 July 2024: the minimum stay is 2 nights.
- 27 July - 18 August 2024: the minimum stay is 3 nights.
- 19 August - 21 August 2024: the minimum stay is 2 nights.
- 22 August - 30 November 2024: the minimum stay is 3 nights.
- 1 December - 20 December 2024: the minimum stay is 2 nights.
- 21 December 2024 - 2 January 2025: the minimum stay is 4 nights.
- 17 March - 22 March 2025: the minimum stay is 4 nights.
- 23 March - 31 May 2025: the minimum stay is 3 nights.
- 1 June 2025: the minimum stay is 4 nights.
- 3 June - 28 June 2025: the minimum stay is 4 nights.
- 29 June - 26 July 2025: the minimum stay is 2 nights.
- 27 July - 18 August 2025: the minimum stay is 3 nights.
- 19 August - 21 August 2025: the minimum stay is 2 nights.
- 22 August - 30 November 2025: the minimum stay is 3 nights.
Early booking discounts
- Receive 20% off if the booking is made 12 months before the arrival date.
Late booking discounts
- Receive 10% off if the booking is made within 40 days of the arrival date.
- Receive 5% off if the booking is made within 60 days of the arrival date.
- Receive 5% off if the booking is made within 30 days of the arrival date.
If more than one discount matches your arrival date, please be aware that only one discount of the highest amount will be applied to your booking.
£50.00 per booking if the booking is for less than 4 nights, paid with booking
Well behaved dogs are welcome, pets carry an extra £10.00 cleaning surcharge
£10.00 per booking, paid with booking
2 bedrooms, Sleeps 4:
- 1 double bed
- 2 single beds
There is also 1 cot
1 bathroom, 1 Separate WC
CD player, Radio, TV Languages in Local
Living area seats 4, Dining area seats 4, Central heating, Open fire, Hair dryer, Iron / board, Towels / linen, Washing machine, Car hire recommended
Cooker, Crockery, Cutlery, Fridge, Freezer, Glassware, Kettle, Microwave, Oven, Pots / pans, Toaster
There is only bed linen included, you need to bring your own towells. The heating is by electric storage heating there is also a real coal fire. There are gardens outside the cottage but they are owned by another cottage owner.
Private Owner From Heaton, United Kingdom Member since Dec 2003
Past bookings: 143 bookings
Response rate: 81%
Response time: within 19 hours
Last logged in: 24 days ago
Number of properties: 1